--
James A. Donald:
> > I intended to sign this using Network Associates command
> > line pgp, [6.5.8]only to discover that pgp -sa file
> > produced unintellible gibberish, that could only be made
> > sense of by pgp, so that no one would be able to read it
> > without first checking my signature.

David Howe
> you made a minor config error - you need to make sure
> clearsign is enabled.

Not so.  It turns out the command line is now different in PGP
6.5.8.  It is now pgp -sta to clearsign, instead of pgp -sa.
(Needless to say the t option does not appear in pgp -h

The clearsigning now seems to work a lot better than I recall
the clearsigning working in pgp 2.6.2.  They now do some
canonicalization, or perhaps they guess lots of variants until
one checks out.

Perhaps they hid the clear signing because it used not to work,
but having fixed it they failed to unhide it?

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     1lGJioukjvNCaM/LetfJVNPifdGblhZNTs+GarH2
     4RFyr8DSgY3BrltZeP3treEOdb186ZDQzE/S3NYLI