> http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,55999,00.html?tw=wn_ascii
>
> Implantable Chip, On Sale Now
<SNIP>
> The VeriChip emits a 125-kilohertz radio frequency signal that transmits
<SNIP>
> * Controlling access to physical structures, such as government or private
> sector offices or nuclear power plants. Instead of swiping a smart card,
> employees could swipe the arm containing the chip.
>
> * Reducing financial fraud. In this scenario, people could use their chip
> to withdraw money from ATMs; their accounts could not be accessed unless
> they were physically present.
>
> * Decreasing identity theft. People could use the chip as a password to
> access their computer at home, for example.
<SNIP>

<COUGH>Bullshit</COUGH>

128KHz.  Gee, no one will think to make a 125KHz scanner that will probe
for these chips and get their ID's.  Gee, no one will think to hide one of
these near "physical structures, such as government or private sector
offices or nuclear power plants", or ATM entrance, etc and collect the
ID's of everyone passing through.

Yup, I can see it now, "But Mr. Jones, YOU did withdraw $50000 from your
savings account, we have your implant chip's ID listed in our ATM's
records.  Identity Theft is impossible."

Uh huh, we need implants as much as fish need bicycles.  More low-end
security.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.