On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, John Kelsey wrote:

> Hmmm.  I agree, but if the attackers chose the right time (while the
> plane's on autopilot) to release the gas or whatever, they might have an
> hour or two to get through the cockpit door, with no resistance at all from
> the now-dead passengers or crew.  Securing a cockpit door in those

While we're discussing irrelevant scenarios, there's a recent trend in
avionics buses to off the shelf networking protocols and buses. I much
doubt the traffic is encrypted and/or authenticated, so a guy who could
blow a small hole through the hull, stick a GPS antenna and/or a camera
out of it, and splice into the avionics control bus with a laptop could
fly around a bit.

Disclaimer: this is just a funky irrelevant scenario, and I agree that the
next time it's going to be something different, while everybody is staring
hypnotized at flight security.