Halfway through a first viewing of Canadian documentary makers Ted Remerowski's and Marrin Canell's riveting Security Threat — it's a cautionary examination of how America's home security policies and surveillance initiatives have swept aside long-cherished human rights since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks — I remembered a package that had arrived on my desk a few days earlier.
It was a press kit touting a Canadian software program that, when secretly installed in a target computer's keypad, notifies a snooper's computer in another location when a file is opened and tracks the text and responses, stroke by stroke, in a pop-up window. An act of privacy invasion that would have been criminal not so long ago is, in the new age of technology-fuelled, neo-Orwellian paranoia, offered up as a simple and functional appliance to secretly moniter people close to you.
Remerowski and Canell aren't surprised. In preparing Security Threat they've seen much more sinister devices as the American government hands out billions of dollars to develop surveillance systems that are the stuff of science fiction nightmares — unseen gizmos that connect us all to a massive global identification database via the use of millions of inexpensive, tiny, concealed digital video cameras, by credit card scanners, by unseen iris and fingerprint monitoring, by encoded information on our drivers' licences, by the digital examination of facial expressions and other forms of biometric lie detection ... even by the way we walk.
"We learned that there are two massive studies being undertaken by the U.S. government into what they call `gait recognition technology'," says Remerowski in the midtown Toronto office of Paradigm Pictures, the company he and Canell — both grounded in the ancienne rιgime National Film Board procedures set down by Donald Brittain in the 1960s and '70s — started seven years ago.
"That's worse than Orwellian ... it's Pythonesque. I wonder if they'll call it The Department Of Silly Walks?"
Security Threat airs tonight at 9 in CBC's Witness series.
What's most terrifying about America's anti-terrorism security and surveillance procedures, Canell adds, is how easily most people, even Canadians, have accepted them.
"It's very easy for a democracy under attack to justify the denial of basic rights and freedoms in the name of self-protection ... but who's watching the watchers? That's what we're asking in this documentary."
Few in even the most independent media have dared ask that question since Sept. 11.
The seasoned filmmakers know better than to encumber Security Threat with liberal cant, or even with a decisive editorial voice. That's not the way Brittain told his powerful stories.
Their point is made in two unadorned tales about Canadian citizens suddenly deprived of ordinary rights — a man born in Pakistan who was scooped off the street in the U.S. and held in complete isolation for four months, and five young Muslim students from Ottawa and Montreal who were detained, searched, interrogated and held for a day by U.S. immigration, FBI and CIA agents when they tried to cross the border — all with apparent Canadian Security Intelligence Service approval.
The material the documentary presents so objectively is in itself an impressive indictment of a mighty political system that has over-indulged itself with technological gimmickry for too long and has now found a way to rationalize its use in every corner of human life.
"An agenda for mass surveillance has been in the works for at least 10 years," says Remerowski. "A secret National Security Agency satellite system has allowed countries to spy on each other but not on their own citizens — until now.
Until Sept. 11, profiling was commonplace, but never admitted to be official policy. That has changed now, as well. Bills and acts limiting the rights of certain groups of people weren't just thrown together overnight. They've been in a drawer waiting for an event like Sept. 11 to happen."
The filmmakers suspect they'll suffer some form of reprisal after Security Threat airs.
"There's a possibility we may not get into the U.S. again — at least (not) without difficulty," says Remerowski.
"We didn't set out to point fingers and call people names. We hope viewers will make decisions based on the evidence we've found. We're just inspectors. What happens next is up to ... well, it's up to you."
Additional articles by Greg Quill

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1035777204704&call_pageid=968867495754&col=969483191630