I've got a question...

If you actually care about the NSA or KGB doing a low-level
magnetic scan to recover data from your disk drives,
you need to be using an encrypted file system, period, no questions.
OK...so I don't know a LOT about how PCs work, so here's a dumb question.

Will this work for -everything- that could go on a drive? (In other words, if I set up an encrypted disk, will web caches, cookies, and all of the other 'trivial' junk be encrypted without really slowing down the PC?)
The reason I ask is that's it's very easy to imagine that, say, FedGroup X wants to take out some outspoken or otherwise questionable person by secretly introducing some kiddie porn or whatnot onto the drive. 15 minutes later they burst through the door and grab the PC.
If I buy PGP off the shelf, will it make the ENTIRE drive encrypted? (And will I wait half an hour for "Hard Drinkin' Lincoln" to download?)

-TD