Lucky stories like this come along and cheer me up somewhat...
Police face criminal charges
February 17 2003
By John Silvester
More than 50 Victorian police have been suspended, forced to take leave or
transferred while being investigated for a range of serious offences - a
record number in the history of the force.
Police have been stood down after being charged with offences including
rape, drug trafficking, burglary and conspiracy to pervert the course of
justice. Three have been suspended for shoplifting.
Some suspended police are under investigation - but yet to be charged -
over child sex offences and incest allegations. Six police have been
charged or are under investigation for drug trafficking.
At least one policeman is facing serious criminal charges after he was
caught in an Ethical Standards Department internal integrity trap.
The department is paying about $1 million a year in wages for police who
have been suspended from duty on full pay.
Those suspended without pay will receive back wages, including
superannuation and holiday entitlements, if they are found not guilty of
any internal or criminal charges.
Ombudsman Barry Perry said that while the record number of suspensions
appeared disturbing it showed the department was actively looking for
dishonest police.
"I believe the number of police who have been suspended shows that there is
a commitment to address any problems which exist," he said. "There is a
real commitment from force command to deal with any problems."
Dr Perry said police integrity tests were conducted rarely and only against
police suspected of corruption.
Assistant Commissioner (Ethical Standards) Noel Perry said 52 police,
ranging from constable to sergeant, and two civilian police employees faced
disciplinary action. Thirty-nine were uniformed police and 13 plain-clothes
police.
Twenty-nine were off duty and 25 on duty at the time of the alleged offences.
He said of the 54 disciplined, 19 had been suspended without pay, 24 with
pay, seven had been transferred to other duties and four had been directed
to take leave.
Assistant Commissioner Perry said the 54 people represented 0.42 per cent
of the total Victoria Police workforce of 12,800. "Better
management-control mechanisms, such as improved supervision, risk
assessments, limiting access to information and tighter auditing
procedures, are being put in place to minimise improper behaviour.
"In high-risk areas, maximum tenure to certain workplaces and better
informer management procedures has been introduced, plus financial
declarations and drug and alcohol testing is being pursued in the workplace
as pro-active tools to reduce improper behaviour."
Doctor Perry said he did not believe there was a need for a royal
commission in Victoria into rogue police because the existing system
effectively exposed corruption.
"There has been a need in states like Queensland where the problems were
not dealt with, but I believe there is a real commitment in Victoria to
deal with the issues," he said.
Police Association secretary Paul Mullett said any investigation into
allegations against police should be dealt with quickly.
"It is in the interest of the members, the community and the police
department that these sort of investigations be completed as quickly as
possible," he said."Police resourcing is still a major issue. We need all
available police on the front line."
http://theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/16/1045330468981.html
