Maybe they actually plan on making their money from selling those SDKs! (Perhaps they hope for some trickle down from the all the $ startups get for making Powerpoint slides.)
And I see they don't really have an architecture suitable for SONET-mapped services...gotta be 1GbE or 2GbEs maped over OC-48 or a single 10GbE (802.11 WAN).

-TD

From: Mike Rosing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tyler Durden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Cavium Security Processor
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 07:53:13 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Tyler Durden wrote:

> Anyone have any comments?
> This seems to be of only occasional usefulness. You'd need a chip for every
> POS/PPP/HDLC connection in the SONET signal. This could be a single
> connection (unlikely, OC-192c is rare), or hundreds (DS-1s? If not, 16
> STS-3cs).
> -TD

From http://www.cavium.com/newsevents_Nitrox2PR.htm:
"Product pricing at 1KU lot quantities ranges from $295 for the CN2130 to
$795 for the CN2560. The NITROX II Software Development Kit is priced at
$9995."

Not priced for a huge number of implementors.  They probably
hope to sell a few hundred develoment kits and maybe 10,000 to
100,000 chips.  They don't even put their data sheets online.
Maybe they're just a scam?

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike