On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 07:44:44PM -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:20:39AM -0500, Tyler Durden wrote:
> > First of all, stating one perhaps should have the right to wear whatever
> > T-shirt you want in a mall
>
> The better way to frame the question: May a private property owner
> legally exclude people from it? Seems to me the answer should be, as a
> general rule, yes.

   Absolutely yes, except for the fact that malls have invited the public in, so
once you've done that, it's pretty hard to exclude some portion of it. Plus the
whole other issue of whether the malls aren't partially owned by the public. If
they've used eminent domain and TIF money, they're not privately owned, at least
until they finish paying it off. And from a moral standpoint, if they did indeed
use eminent domain to take property from private owners, they don't have any
basis for complaining about anything. It would probably be best for society as a
whole if the corporate execs involved in such activities were taken out and
lynched.
   There's also the issue of corporations not having any civil rights in the
first place, so I'm not even sure they really have, or should have, property
rights, in the same way that individuals do.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix