Another possibility occurred to me. It might be possible to use the 802.11-like devices for this purpose. The problem for this application with Wi-Fi is its focus on high data rate and therefore low process gain. But there is no inherent reason why almost the same circuits (perhaps even the off-the-shelf PC cards themselves) couldn't be re-purposed for used at lower effective data rates and higher process gain for much greater range and interference immunity while still operating within the FCC Part 15 guidelines.

As I recall most of the notebook cards have a max output of about 80 mW. Each of the 5 channels in the 2.4 GHz band can support up to 11 mbps. If you assume that you will use this for stereo broadcasting then only 128 kbps offers a pretty good quality .mp3 This is a data rate ratio of 85 :1 or about 18 dB. For every 6 dB of link margin improvement a signal's range is doubled. 18 dB should, all other things being equivalent, extend the device range by 8 times. (If data rates were lowered to those now common for PCS and used for that sort of purpose, link margins would expand by another 9-12 dB.)

steve