Anti-war protesters to defy police march ban
April 1 2003, 1:47 PM
Student anti-war protesters will defy police by holding an illegal rally
tomorrow in Sydney. The organisers behind last week's violent protest
today said they were committed to holding a peaceful anti-war
rally.
Books Not Bombs (BNB) spokeswoman Kylie Moon said the coalition would not
accept NSW Police's refusal to grant a march permit.
"They threaten our right to speak out against the war. But we will
not be silenced," Ms Moon said.
However Ms Moon said she hoped for a peaceful protest and was attempting
to stir up a more musical and colourful theme with buskers and street
theatre artists.
Ms Moon said legal observers would also gather to monitor police and
protester action.
Meanwhile, NSW Premier Bob Carr today urged parents to "take charge
of their own youngsters" and stop them attending the rally.
"It (BNB) is a front organisation from an extreme left group that
wants to radicalise youngsters by throwing them into a clash on the
streets, wants to build support for itself by doing that," Mr Carr
told Sydney radio 2GB.
Police have refused to grant permission for tomorrow's march in the wake
of last Wednesday's violence which resulted in 14 people being
charged.
However Mr Carr said if the group cooperated with authorities they might
be given permission to stage a static demonstration.
The protesters said they would not stage a static rally.
http://smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/01/1048962741364.html
