MANILA (Reuters) - A bomb hidden in a food stall killed 15 people on Wednesday near a wharf in the southern Philippine city of Davao, where 22 people died in an airport blast a month ago, police and hospital officials said.
The explosion outside the ferry passenger terminal sprayed the area with blood, shattered windows and blew a crater in the pavement underneath the barbecue stand.
One victim was a young boy still clutching a toy. Some of the bodies were covered by sheets of newspaper.
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo said she had ordered the military and police to "take all appropriate measures," including checkpoints and visibility patrols, against "these lawless elements and terrorists."
"In a state of lawless violence, I can empower the military to do this crackdown," she said in a radio interview.
Arroyo, touring the region by boat to promote a new roll-on/roll-off ferry to speed the flow of goods around this nation of islands, planned to go to Davao on Thursday to meet investigators.
Security forces in the mainly Roman Catholic country are fighting four rebel groups seeking an Islamic homeland in the south. They are also on alert for reprisals over the U.S.-led war in Iraq because of Manila's close ties with Washington.
Police at the scene of Wednesday's blast said there were 13 people dead and 53 wounded. But the Davao Medical Center issued a statement saying 15 had been killed and 44 wounded.
A nun, four policemen and several vendors were among the dead, police said.
National Security Adviser Roilo Golez said it was too early to speculate about who was responsible.
MILF MUSLIM REBELS DENY INVOLVEMENT
The ferry from Manila to Davao, 900 km (560 miles) south of the capital on the restive island of Mindanao, had just docked and passengers were disembarking as the bomb exploded near the terminal building further along the wharf.
Radio reports said one boy had alerted vendors after seeing the bomb before it went off but guards had largely ignored their frantic warnings. The reports could not be independently confirmed.
Police quickly stepped up security at the airport and other locations in Davao.
On March 4, the suspected bomber was killed along with an American missionary and 20 other people in a blast at the airport as crowds sheltered from a rainstorm.
Police have arrest warrants for 151 members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), the largest Muslim rebel group with about 12,000 men, in connection with last month's explosion.
The MILF said on Wednesday night it was not responsible for either the airport bombing or that at the wharf.
"The MILF vehemently denies any involvement," the group's spokesman, Eid Kabalu, told Reuters. "We are offering our goodwill assistance in the investigation to manifest our desire to stamp out criminalities like this."
The government and the MILF are working to rekindle sporadic peace talks with the help of Malaysia and Libya, but troops and the guerrillas clash regularly on Mindanao.
Philippine investigators examining the airport bombing, helped by American and Australian forensics experts, are also exploring the potential involvement of Jemaah Islamiah, a Southeast Asian group seeking a strict Muslim state.
http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=2494719
Another rogue terror group known as "US special Forces" have been seen in the area,they may have 'local' assistance from ex-US Intelligence goombahs.Search on keyword 'Piolenc'.


Reply via email to