One of four journalists expelled from Iraq after more than a week in prison, Matthew McAllester describes the horror, frustration and finally relief when they were finally released into Jordan.

At first it sounded like the guards who played pool throughout the night in a room at the end of the cell block were having a play fight or at worst an argument over what the local rules might be at Abu Ghraib.

The clicking of the pool balls had stopped. Shoes that usually padded or snapped down the concrete hallway between the two rows of cells were rushing. Several pairs of shoes, or boots. There was shouting, too.

A body fell to the ground, and now, amid the shouting, emerged a single voice coming from the level where I lay, on the cold floor of my cell. That voice was different from the others. It came from a throat contracted by fear. It seemed about two or three metres from me.

I recognised one of the other voices. It belonged to a guard who had broad shoulders and wore wire-rim glasses. He had been there when we checked into the prison a couple of days earlier, and he had searched the pockets of my black fleece. He had stood beside me as I stripped to my boxer shorts and put on my blue-and-white striped prison pyjamas. Somehow in our new universe full of dark stars, I picked him out as perhaps one of the blackest. Ever since, I had avoided eye contact with him whenever he walked past my cell door.

He had a loud voice, normally, barking commands angrily to the Iraqi prisoners who occupied the cells opposite ours. His was a nonchalant aggression. Now his voice was unrestrained, furious. And it came in a new rhythm, alternating with another sound.
In the early 1990s, I once saw two men rush out of a warehouse building in Manhattan with baseball bats to beat up a man who looked like a drug addict. The man had been clumsily, hazily trying to break into a car. The sound of the bats against his gangly body has stayed with me. That was the sort of sound I was hearing now, alternating with the shouts of the heavy-set guard.

The prisoner was on the ground, and he was being beaten with something that was not a fist or a boot. A shout and then that slightly resonant sound of flesh and bone giving way to something very hard that was moving fast. And then another shout from the guard, another blow.

The fluorescent strip above my head filled my cell with light, as it did 24 hours a day. I was plainly visible to the men in the corridor, and I did not want to be seen watching. As soon as I had sensed the violence beginning I turned to my left side and lay motionless.

Journalists are meant to bear witness. But I turned away and chose not to see a thing.

Eventually the beating stopped, and the man was dumped into his cell. The big guard seemed to have exhausted his fury.

With each breath he made a sort of crying sound. Sometimes he broke that rhythm to exhale his pain with more force, and the otherwise silent block filled up with what I wondered might be the man's last gasps.

A guard ambled back and spoke to him, asking him a question. The man just continued to whine with his agony, and the guard walked away.

After another while, two guards came back. There were more questions, and this time the prisoner responded.

I don't know how long the man's noises filled the cells. Since they had taken away my watch when we arrived at Abu Ghraib, with everything else I owned, apart from some bottled water, time had lost its structure. But eventually silence came back to the block.

In the morning, the prisoner was alive. Moises Saman, two cells over from me, said on Wednesday that he saw blood on the floor.

Sometime over the next two days I came to see the big guard as a source of some comfort.

He smoked, and one day I heard my next-door prisoner Molly Bingham plead a cigarette from him.

When he walked past, I asked for a cigarette also, and the man held out a pack of extra-long, super thin Pine cigarettes.

I thanked him with all the warmth I could generate.

"No problem," the man said in a gentle voice, smiling kindly.

Abu Ghraib did things like that: making me turn away from a beating and then form a tiny alliance, or reliance, on the beater.

And so all I can do now is to bear witness to the sounds we all heard that night, and on other nights, and to say that the largest and most feared prison in Iraq is still home to hundreds of men who do not have the countless numbers of people working every waking minute to try to get them out, as we had.

Those men are still in there. And so are the guards.

McAllester and Moises Saman, 29, a Newsday photographer, were set free on Tuesday with Molly Bingham, 34, an American freelance photographer, and Johan Rydeng Spanner, a Danish freelance photographer.
pic.
Newsday
http://smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/03/1048962878311.html