150,000 terror kits returned to Govt, committee told

Federal Communications Minister Richard Alston says he will check on why it took so long to find out how many of the Federal Government's anti-terrorism kits* were returned.

The Government sent a kit to every Australian household in February, but many felt they were a waste of money and returned them to sender.

Australia Post has told a Senate committee today nearly 150,000 kits were sent back, before being destroyed in March on the orders of the Prime Minister's Department.

Labor Senator Sue Mackay wanted to know why the first estimate of the numbers of kits returned was only provided last week.

"So let me just restate for the record, Australia Post very efficiently provided the answer in February, sent it through the department, the department then sends it through to the minister's office, where it sits for three and half months - this is on the return of the terrorism kits," she said.

"And the Friday before estimates, the minister's office gives the tick and the department very efficiently sends it to the estimates committee."

*This was the recent 'most stupid security measure' award winner recently.

Reply via email to