Hello,

Also, I notice that libcom_err.la is 'noinst'.  How do you expect that cyrus
executable will be able to find this code at runtime on a platform which has
shared libraries but no system com_err library?

When the compilation of the internal com_err is requested, the files
from libcom_err.la are compiled with -fPIC and statically linked in
libimap and libsieve.

Two questions -

1) is this happening by accident because we're currently adding -fPIC to
the global CFLAGS via @PERL_CCLDFLAGS@ ?

According to my understanding, -fPIC is added, so that the compiled .o
files, can be inserted in a shared library and this is independent from
@PERL_CCLDFLAGS@.

Ah.  I was under the impression that libtool+automake would build two
different .o files, one with -fPIC for shared libraries and one without
for static libraries and executables.

For installable libraries, this is true, because both static and shared libraries are installed. For noinst_ (convenience) libraries, this is also true (but I do not know why libtool builds .o files twice and I do not know, if the files that are supposed to be built without -fPIC are build in fact with @PERL_CCLDFLAGS@).

Със здраве
  Дилян