> What you can do is allow it to pass in a char* (bytes) object with a
> length, have a cdef set method, use opaque object pointer wrappers
> (there was a previous thread about this).

i'm not sure I understand what your saying with this ^^^

> You could also make a function
>
> > def testload(filename):
> >     cdef IplImage* img = load(filename)
> >     cdef PyIplImage pyimg = PyIplImage
> >     pyimg.img = img
> >     return pyimg

this makes sense. Just instantiate an empty PyIplImage then set the pointer
after instantiation. But that would mean all attributes (width, height, etc)
would have to be accessed as properties right? since I wouldn't be able to
set them on __init___

Chris