Czernowitzers, dear friends,

"За Родину! За Сталина! / Za Rodinu! Za Stalina! / For the Fatherland! For
Stalin!" we read on the rocket in the garden of a whimsical house on the Gypsy
Hill in Soroca - yes, that's what it's called, see Google Maps. We suspect to
whom the sympathies of the local Roma are directed in the current war in
Ukraine:

http://hauster.blogspot.com/2022/05/the-gypsy-baron-from-soroca-3654-km.html

This alone would be reason enough to visit the Gypsy Baron from Soroca, in
civil live Artur Cerari. It looks like I planned all this, but as a matter of
fact the interview with him was a „collateral benefit“. Actually, I was just
looking for the old Soroca Synagogue, of which the United States Commission for
the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad writes: "Constructed in the
beginning of the 20th century, the former synagogue is currently owned by
municipal authorities who have turned it into a fire station." Who resides next
door to it? We guessed it already: The Gypsy Baron of Soroca!

Enjoy, next stop: CZERNOWITZ - FINALLY!

Edgar Hauster [iPad]