Czernowitzers, dear friends,

Berlin is the last stage of my „Journey Along the New Iron Curtain.“ For more
than 28 years from August 1961 to November 1989 the Berlin Wall divided the
city into two hostile parts. That is why there are not one but two Soviet War
Memorials, a normal size one in the district of Tiergarten in the West, and a
gigantic one in the district of Treptow in the East. There we can read eight
quotes by Josef Stalin, engraved in gold letters in Russian and German, on 16
white sarcophagi made of lime sandstone.

http://hauster.blogspot.com/2022/06/stalin-and-goldberg-in-berlin-6586-km.html

One quote reads: "Hitler's scoundrels have set themselves the goal to enslave
or exterminate the population of Ukraine, Bielorussia, the Baltic States,
Moldavia, Crimea and the Caucasus. ‚Our goal is clear and noble. We want to
liberate our Soviet soil.‘“ Doesn't it sound very familiar and up-to-date to
you and isn't it revealing that already Stalin wanted to liberate not the
peoples but the "Soviet soil"?

Let's leave that behind and go to the Havel River, where the Jewish Theater
Ship MS Goldberg is moored. The ship was inaugurated ten days ago. The premiere
of "The Singer" on 23.05.2022 was attended, among others, by Berlin's Governing
Mayor Franziska Giffey, who welcomed the theater ship makers and the audience.
Do you have any idea who "The Singer" might be? It is none other than "our"
magnificent lyric tenor - Height: 5' 0¼" (1,53 m) - Joseph Schmidt. Berlin has
yet another attraction of Jewishness and we are very curious to see how it will
be accepted by the audience.

Enjoy, next stop: Home Sweet Home!

Edgar Hauster [iPad]