x-mailing-list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: GENERAL: Shabbos Greeting

TJ asked:
>>1) What is the earliest known source for specifically the greeting "Shabbat
>>Shalom" or "Shabbat Shalom u'Mevorach" that is so common among Sefaradim;
>>where do these terms first appear?

The Kollel replied:
>>(1) This is an interesting question which I have never really thought about
>>before. However I suspect that these greetings are quite new and do not have
>>a source in classical Hebrew. I have found a slight support for my assertion
>>in the amendments of Rabbi Akiva Eiger to the Shulchan Aruch OC 271:1 end DH
>>Sham Be'd v'K'm who writes that to fulfil the Biblical commandment of Kidush
>>- sanctifying Shabbos - it would seem that it is sufficient merely to mention
>>Shabbos and to say "Shabta Tavta". The words "Shabta Tava" are the same as
>>saying in Yiddish "Gut Shabbos" (in fact I suspect that where R. Akiva Eiger
>>lived they said Gut Shabbos but he is just translating the spoken terms into
>>the Hebrew used in the Shulchan Aruch).  What we do seem to see from R. Akiva
>>Eiger is that they did not say Shabat Shalom.
>>However I did find in Sefer Gesher Hachayim (21:7:4, page 244), written by R.
>>Yechiel Michal Tukutchinski in 5707, that he discusses the greetings one
>>gives to mourners on Shabbos and writes that the prevalent custom was to say
>>Shabbat Shalom to mourners after the first 30 days. However that was written
>>not so long ago when Ivrit was already quite prevalent.

----------

Jacob Aryeh Feuchtwanger adds:

Please look at the Or Hachayim in this weeks Parsha on the Possuk "Ish Immo
ve-oviv tiro-u ve-es Shabsosai tishmoru ani Hashem". In the middle of a long
text on this possuk the paragraph starting "Ve la-ze hirvachnu etc." the Or
Hachayim explains why on Shabbos one says "Shabbat Shalom" and why we say at
Maariv "Ufros Oleinu Succas Slomecha"

Yours sincerely,
Yaakov Feuchtwanger

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf
Write to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Fax(US):(206) 202-0323; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004

AM