(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Beitzah 031: Shouldn't one call a spade, a spade?

Alex Lebovits asked:

Rashi DH 'Lo Bekardum' describes a kardum as a cutting tool used by
an uman to make saddles and other kelim; having a wide and a pointy
edge. If so- why would the Mishna in Pirkei Avos 4:7 say "velo kardum
lachfor bo"-that one should not use Torah like a 'kardum' to dig
with. Who uses a kardum to dig with?! Or as my friend Shimon
Schonblum put it; Why not call a spade, a spade?!

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

Alex Lebovits, Toronto, Canada
The Kollel replies:

The Mishnah in Kelim 29:7 tells us there were two types of Kardum,
one for digging and one for chopping (and a third for hoeing or
softening clods of dirt).  In Kelim 13:3 we see that the one for
chopping had two cutting edges - as is evident from our Gemara as well.

Be well,
Mordecai Kornfeld