(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      d...@dafyomi.co.il

Bava Basra 029: Chezkas ha'Batim

ari maman asks:

on daf 29a rav huna says the din that u need ritzifus, and the gemara asks
what do i need his limud for! the mishna says myom leyom! my question is
that on 28a tosfos d'h "shehen yud ches chadash" says rav huna's din
applies to the saifah of the mishnah as well, but the saifah of the mishnah
says einah meyom leyom! that would mean the din of retzufos does not apply
in the saifah! how is this resolved??

The Kollel replies:

1) Only in the question of the Gemara (29a) on Rav Huna did it think that
mi'Yom l'Yom must mean Retzufim. However, in the answer -- that mi'Yom
l'Yom could mean Mefuzaros -- we see that mi'Yom l'Yom does not necessarily
mean Retzufim, and it is only the Chidush of Rav Huna that tells us
Retzufim; we could not have understood this from the Mishnah alone.

2) However, even though mi'Yom l'Yom in the Reisha does not necessarily
mean Retzufim according to the conclusion of the Gemara, it still is
possible that "Harei Yud Ches Chodesh" in the Seifa could mean Retzufim.
This is because even though 18 months is sufficient and we do not require 3
full years, nevertheless it could be that these 18 months must be Retzufim,
consecutive, with no gaps in the middle. That is why Tosfos entertains the
possibility that she'Hen Yud Ches Chodesh is telling us Retzufim.
Therefore, even though mi'Yom l'Yom in the Reisha does not mean Retzufim,
it could still have been possible that she'Hen Yud Ches Chodesh in the
Seifa does mean Retzufim. However, Tosfos rejects this possibility also
because it seems from the Gemara that Retzufim is entirely an invention of
Rav Huna and could not have been inferred from any part of the Mishnah,
neither from the Reisha nor from the Seifa.

(See Tosafos Yom Tov who asks a question which bears a similarity to your
question (and see Tosfos Rebbi Akiva Eiger's answer), but I do not think it
is exactly the same question as yours.)

Kesivah v'Chasimah Tovah,
Dovid Bloom

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf

Write to us at d...@dafyomi.co.il or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Tel/Fax(US): 646-820-3315; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004