(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      d...@dafyomi.co.il

Yevamos 016: Savya?

Noach asks:

I cannot identify "Savya" who interacts with Reb Yochanan. I do not
recollect seeing the name and I do not see it in Da'as Doros.

Appreciate help! Gut Erev Shabbos,
Noach miTelshestone
------------------------------------
The Kollel replies:

The word is probably prounounced 'Sabaya', which means "the elders"
(see Nazir bottom of 39a). In Yevamos 86b, Rebbi 'Yonasan' argues
with Sabaya - I propose that the text should be corrected to say
"Yochanan", as in our Sugya.

Apparently, the word 'Sabaya' is referring to a group of unspecified
contemporary Talmidei Chachamim (perhaps Reish Lakish and later Rebbi
Elazar) who disagreed with Rebbi Yochanan on the matter under discussion.

Best wishes,
Mordecai Kornfeld
Kollel Iyun Hadaf