(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      d...@dafyomi.co.il

Yevamos 111: Ein Adam Misapek 30 Yom

Yehuda Gellman asks:

My question goes back a few daf, in the sugyah where we say that we don't
believe that a man did not have biah with a woman within 30 days, because
Ein Adam Misapek 30 Yom. In ordinary circumstances at some point in those
30 days the woman will become nidah. If this happens toward the end of the
30 days, he will not be able to have biah and then the 30 days will go by
without biah. Since this is so how can the gemarah apply the principle of
Ein Adam Misapek 30 Yom?

The Kollel replies:

I would like to suggest the following answer to this very interesting
question.

We are going to learn soon, b'Siyata di'Shmaya, at the beginning of Kesuvos
(3b-4a), that the Gemara discusses the Halachah in the tragic circumstances
that a parent of the Chasan or Kalah passed away just before the wedding.
The Gemara (4a) states that if the bride became a Nidah before there had
been Bi'ah, the couple is not allowed to sleep in the same room. The reason
is that even though there generally is no Isur of being alone with one's
wife when she is Nidah, this is because they previously had Bi'ah, but with
a new wife before the first Bi'ah the temptation is very great, and
therefore the prohibition of Yichud applies (this is the Halachah as
recorded in Shulchan Aruch Even ha'Ezer 22:1).

Therefore, in your question, Reb Yehuda, we assume that she became a Nidah
before Bi'ah took place. If so, they anyway must separate, and therefore
the days when they are separate do not count towards the total of 30. When
she goes to the Mikvah and becomes Tahor, we return to the count up to 30
days.

Kol Tuv,
Dovid Bloom

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf

Write to us at d...@dafyomi.co.il or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Tel/Fax(US): 646-820-3315; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004