(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sanhedrin 021: Shlomo's horses

ERIC COOPERSMITH asked:

ACCORDING TO THE CHESBON OF THE GEMARA IT SEEMS AS IF Shlomo Hamelech had
160 million horses. Can that be true??

ERIC COOPERSMITH, JERUSALEM iSRAEL
The Kollel replies:

Greetings Eric,

We're sorry for the delay; we had some problems receiving our mail (somehow
our domain "dafyomi.co.il" was placed on the spam-filter list that
Netvision uses, and thus none of the email being forwarded from our
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" address was making it to our Netvision address).

You are correct that according to the Gemara's answer to reconcile the
verse in Melachim with the verse in Divrei ha'Yamim, it would come out that
Shlomo ha'Melech had 160 million horses.

However, it seems that a printer's error crept into the Vilna Shas. The
word "Elef" should not appear in each of the two phrases of the Gemara
after the word "Arba'im." That is, the Gemara should say "Im Arba'im
Itztabla'os Hayu," instead of "Im Arba'im Elef Itztabla'os Hayu," and
similarly in the Gemara's second phrase. Accordingly, there were
only160,000, instead of 160 million. See DIKDUKEI SOFRIM. (The Peshat in
the verse in Melachim would then be that he had 40 stables containing
thousands of horses, while the verse in Divrei ha'Yamim would be that he
had 4000 horses in each of his stables.)

The RADAK (Melachim 1 5:6) also has such a Girsa, but in his first phrase
he has 40 stables with 4000 horses (for a total of 160,000), and in his
second phrase he has 40,000 stables with 40 horses (for a total of 1.6
million).

The METZUDAS DAVID and RALBAG also have such a Girsa, but they write that
there was only 10 horses in each stable, and there were 4000 stables. Thus,
the verse in Melachim is giving the total number of horses in the stables,
while the verse in Divrei ha'Yamim is giving the total number of stables.
It seems that this was their Girsa in the Gemara.

I hope this clarifies things.

All the best,

Yisroel Shaw
D.A.F.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with this text in the body of the message:
unsubscribe daf-discuss