(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Megilah 030b: Reading "Zecher Amalek"
Stuart Plaskow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:

Dear Rabbi Kornfeld,
Could you please explain to me why some Baalei Kriah on Shabbas Zochor, read
the word ZAYCHER then ZECHER in the Maftir.? Since it is not a KRI or KSIV
how did this originate.?

Wishing you a Happy Purim

Stuart
------------
The Kollel replies:

In Bava Basra 21b we find that Yoav almost killed (or actually killed) his
childhood teacher for mistakenly reading to him the verse as "Timcheh
Zachar Amalek" (obliterate the males of Amalek) rather than "Zecher Amalek"
(any trace of Amalek). We only had to face Haman in a later generation
because of this mistake in Yoav schooling.

Because of this we are unusually sensitive to the correct pronunciation of
this word, and we read it as both "Zeicher" (Tzeirei, Segol - the way the
word is voweled throughout Tanach) and "Zecher," (Segol, Segol - as in
"Mecher," Nechemyah 13:16 and "Secher," Yeshayah 19:10, Mishlei 11:18),
just in case that is the true pronunciation -- even though there is no
difference in meaning at all between the two.

Note also that in the Ashrei psalm, all Sidurim vowel the word as "Zeicher"
(Tzerei, Segol), which is the way it appears in the Navi. However, the
Vilna Ga'on, as cited in Sidur Sha'arei Rachamim, makes it "Zecher" (Segol,
Segol). Likutei Maharich writes that this is also the pronunciation chosen
by the Radak, and that the same pronunciation would apply to the word in
the verse in Parshas Zachor.

M. Kornfeld

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with this text in the body of the message:
unsubscribe daf-discuss