The name-letter effect is the tendency of people to prefer the letters
in their name over other letters in the alphabet. Discovered in 1985 by
the Belgian psychologist Jozef Nuttin, the effect has been replicated in
dozens of studies. Whether subjects are asked to rank all letters of the
alphabet, rate letters individually, choose one of two letters, or pick
a small set of letters, on average people prefer the letters in their
own name, but few are aware that they are choosing letters from their
name. The effect has been attributed to the fact that most people
associate their names with themselves, and like themselves. People who
do not like themselves tend not to exhibit the name-letter effect. In
psychological assessments, the Name Letter Preference Task is widely
used to estimate implicit self-esteem. There is some evidence that
people have been influenced by the name-letter effect even when making
important decisions, although many studies have been controversial.

Read more: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name-letter_effect>

_______________________________
Today's selected anniversaries:

1100:

Henry I was crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_I_of_England>

1796:

War of the First Coalition: The Austrian army attempted to
break the Siege of Mantua, but were repelled by the French Army of Italy
under Napoleon.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Castiglione>

1816:

Sir John Barrow, Secretary of the Admiralty, rejected a
proposal to use Francis Ronalds's electrical telegraph, deeming it as
"wholly unnecessary".
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Ronalds>

1949:

A magnitude 6.8 ML earthquake struck near Ambato, Ecuador,
killing 5,050 people.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_Ambato_earthquake>

2012:

A white supremacist went on a shooting spree at the Sikh temple
in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, U.S., killing six people and wounding four
others.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_Sikh_temple_shooting>

_____________________________
Wiktionary's word of the day:

matchy-matchy:
(fashion) Of clothes or upholstery: excessively color-coordinated.
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/matchy-matchy>

Wikiquote quote of the day:

     We rub the darkness from our eyes, And face our thousand devious
secret mornings … And do not see how the pale mist, slowly ascending,
Shaped by the sun, shines like a white-robed dreamer Compassionate over
our towers bending.
  --Conrad Aiken
<https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Conrad_Aiken>