SFAICT, QKD is mostly a way for academic physics to seek grants from credulous
donors.

I suspect China's investment in it is probably just a function of their major
investment into academic sciences and research beginning to pay off, rather
than anything to do with an assessment of encryption or US capabilities (apart
from anything else: QKD doesn't actually solve any real world problems--if the
US has capability against any class of cipher, QKD is not how you'd approach
fixing it)

/my 2c
Matt