Title: Meditation: Wednesday, March 26, 2003

The Catholic Calendar for Wednesday, March 26, 2003
    The Third Week in Lent

Scripture from today's Liturgy of the Word:
    Deuteronomy 4:1,5-9
    Psalm 147:12-13,15-16,19-20
    Matthew 5:17-19

A reflection on today's Sacred Scripture:

"I have come not to abolish but to fulfill."

Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets. How often have
we heard that? But do we know what it means?

The law is still with us. The law as laid out in the Hebrew Scriptures
are the "limits" that describe the playing field of allowable
behavior. If you follow those rules you are acting in a Godly fashion.
However, you may not be acting in a perfect fashion. Jesus described,
within that arena of the law, perfect behavior.

This is typified by the beatitudes and other guidelines that Jesus
left with us. "A real friend is willing to lay down his life for
others." "Blessed are the poor in spirit," and so forth.

So, while the Law and the Prophets described the minimum necessary to
live a Godly life, Jesus described the truly desirable life in God --
He "perfected" the law and the prophets. In Jesus all truth is
perfected and all human knowledge is brought to nothing.

Let us seek to live fully the teachings of Jesus and not seek to do
merely the minimum that keeps us from the mouth of Hell. Our duty as
Christians is to serve as a beacon, and a beacon needs to shine as
brightly as possible.

- JuandelaCruz, T.O.Carm ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

YOU CAN HELP to evangelize the Word of God:
Please recommend our website to your friends and Catholic webmasters at:
http://www.borg.com/~joachim/DailyMeds.html (case sensitive)

BLOG? The meditations are also available at our new blog at:
http://dailymeds.blogspot.com

ARCHIVED Meditations: http://www.abcsoffaith.com/quiet/quietplace.html
also at: http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
and: http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/

FOR ALL COMMUNICATIONS including subscribe/unsubscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The FINE PRINT:
(c)1986-2003 The Way, The Truth, The Life. Permission granted to make
reprints of the meditations or to post on any web page, except for profit.
Scripture texts in this work are taken from the New American Bible with
Revised New Testament and Revised Psalms (c)1991, 1986, 1970 Confraternity
of Christian Doctrine, Washington, D.C. and are used by permission of the
copy-right owner. All Rights Reserved. No part of the New American Bible may
be reproduced in any form without permission in writing from the copyright
owner.Text from the New American Bible: http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/index.htm
Lives of the Saints: http://www.christdesert.org/public_texts/martyrology/