On Tue, 28 Feb 2017, Dale R. Worley wrote:

Well enough.  Actually, I thought about this issue some more, and that
led to my followup e-mail.  I think there is a real desire to not have
the DNS provide a direct catalog of valid e-mail addresses, but it
conflicts with the weak security of non-salted hashes.  As I said in
that e-mail, I think this could be improved by providing a hash in a DNS
record, which would mean that hashes would be well-justified as
providing substantially more privacy/security than direct UTF-8 (or
base64 or anything reversible).

I don't think that justifies differentiating the lookups of OPENPGPKEY
versus SMIMEA records. So even if I agreed with you, I think it is
too late to change this.

But I also do not agree :) Email addresses are not secrets. The only
difference between publishing or not publishing OPENPGPKEY or SMIMEA
records is that the spammer can do an offline versus an online attack.
And with easilly available botnets these days, I don't think that
makes any meaningful difference.

Paul