Joachim Breitner wrote:
A similar problem would be if I created some patches that I temporarily don’t
want applied. I could branch, and then unpull them, but this is a bit too much
work.

That would be the darcs-approach, and it shouldn't feel like to much work. darcs get even has some very nice options to quickly do that branch work for you, for instance you could use --to-patch="First Patch you don't want yet", or you could use --tag="Last tag" and darcs pull any additional patches you want interactively, if you prefer that to unpull.

In both cases a “patch shelve” would be handy. A seperate storage for patches in
my repository that are available, but not applied. I’d imagine that the “darcs
pull” command would then allow me to “pull and put on the shelf”, and not offer
me this patch again. There would also be “put on shelf” and “get from shelf”
commands. So if anyone feels like hacking on darcs, this feature would be
appreciated.

It has been mentioned before that darcs could use a way to ignore/ban patches to keep pull push for re-prompting patches that you explicitly don't want and there's at least one existing issue for that:
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue139

The shelf idea is an interesting name, but beyond the ignore/ban patches part the darcs-approach would be to suggest that you just keep around a second "shelf" repository and then its just a simple matter of push/pull between your "working" repository and your "shelf" repository. In darcs it's generally quite easy to keep a small web of repositories around for just this sort of thing.

This actually just about follows the work-flow of some groups like yours where you might want to keep a local repository for each co-developer of yours that is just entirely synced with their repository and a repository of your own "publishable" patches with one or more working repositories pulling from the co-developer repositories and pushing to the published repository.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/