Eric Kow wrote:
> This came up during benchmarking.  It's a bit hard to talk about
> benchmarking because one has to understand our version scheme where
>
>   - darcs 2.3.97.x refers to darcs 2.4 alpha x
>   - darcs 2.3.98.x refers to darcs 2.4 beta x
>   - darcs 2.3.99.x refers to darcs 2.4 rc x
>
> See http://wiki.darcs.net/Benchmarks
>
> The scheme was designed to solve a practical issue, that you could not
> use things other than numbers for Hackage version numbers (probably a
> feature, not a bug).  But it has its drawbacks in that people are
> frequently confused.
>
> I recommend that we revise our version scheme.  Starting from the July
> Darcs release, I vote we start incrementing numbers in the odd/even
> fashion.  For example, come July, we would release a
>
>   darcs 2.5.0.x  for darcs 2.6 alphas
>   darcs 2.5.1.x  for darcs 2.6 betas
>   darcs 2.5.2.x  for darcs 2.6 release candidates
>
> If we wanted to accommodate point releases, we could add another
> column of numbers (darcs 2.5.1.0.x would therefore correspond to
> darcs 2.6.1 alpha x), but that's likely to be overkill.
>
> My hope is that this scheme would be a lot more intuitive and require
> less explanation.  We can still informally refer to 2.5.0.x as 2.6
> alpha, but at least we'll avoid confusing 2.5 with 2.4.

I can't see any win here over the current system which I personally find
perfectly fine and understandable. The 97...99 numbers give clear intuition
that they are "close to the next version number". The odd/even scheme does
not have this property. The only advantage of the latter system lies in the
ability to actually _release_ intermediate development versions for
testing. If you plan to do so, well, I'd agree. Otherwise keep it as it is.

Cheers
Ben