I forgot one important CAVEAT:

Darcs does not preserve/track file permissions like git and most other
systems do. Darcs controlled files may get the default umask permission bits
on e.g. pull, which may not be what you want.

For instance your ssh configuration directory and especially your private
keys in there need to have owner-only read and write permission (ssh refuses
to work if this is not the case, and rightly so). Similar for gpg. Another
example, if you use esmtp, the user configuration file ~/.esmtprc contains
your mail account password in plain text, so the file should be readable and
writeable only by the owner. Etc etc.

Cheers
Ben