On Sun, 21 Aug 2016, Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:

I'm afraid that what you are proposing is not possible with Darcs'
current internal representation of patches. Darcs handles patches in a
line-based way. So the problem is worse than computationnal cost.

I did not want to propose new patch types, just improved diff (for now).

Say I have
------

------

and alter it to

------

------

I guess that the record command would replace 'a' by ' b' and 'b' ' c' and drop 'c' (the current patience diff might replace all lines at once). But it would be more natural to drop 'a' and replace 'b' by ' b' and 'c' by ' c'.