On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Ben Franksen <ben.frank...@online.de> wrote:
>>  > We don't have a "kernel" with a stable API,
>>
>> git doesn't have a stable API either.  I don't know about the current
>> developers, but Linus basically promised that the *UI* would be
>> backward compatible.  Any scripts you've written will continue to
>> work.  The internal APIs are subject to change, though, and that's why
>> there's never been a successful refactoring into a "libgit" plus CLI
>> module.

I don't know if it's "officially" stable, but in practice I've been
relying on libgit2 for the last 4+ years (not sure how many exactly,
but a long time).

However, it's an independent implementation that works directly on the
database, so it's really the disk format that's stable.  It looks like
both github and and gitlab use it as a backend now, so presumably they
have plenty of attention and developers, and command line git won't be
able to break it without a lot of people finding out right away.