Yes, that's what I'm doing at the moment. I didn't know of gnu parallel
though, maybe that could have saved me some hours... I'm splitting the
frames into jobs of five frames and run up to eight jobs on an eight core
processor. That gives me a framerate of around 2.1 fps on that machine and
up to 4 fps using two additional quad cores. Thats usable, but still not
great.

I could however experiment a bit with input formats. Currently i'm using
rgb24 tiffs for the most part. Dngs however tend render much faster, up to
100%