JLC> What I see:
JLC> 1 - The exposure level is not the same on both the pictures - there is
JLC> about 1 EV difference
JLC> 2 - The silkypix.jpg is noise processed while the darktable.jpg is not.

Most probably silkypix is denoising - I'm not opposed to that - what I was
trying to explain is that there INDEED IS a problem with that red / brown /
magenta "sand" when pushing darks in Canon RAW files. It cannot be denied.
And according to those guys I wrote about: it could be 100% fixed by
improving Canon-RAW processing routines.

No, I'm not able to do that. Was hoping they gave enough information you
guys could use to apply a few changes.

PO> Yes, but you are not listening! This is "chromatic noise" and if
PO> properly removed with "denoise (profile)" the results can even be
PO> better than Silkypix which is blurring the image a bit more. You're
PO> loosing details.

PO> This is because many software are applying denoise for you.

PO> I have attached a screenshot. Let me know if you don't se it, I'll
PO> upload it somewhere.

Thanks.

Anyway, I'm aware it's rather a matter of personal taste, but I'm convinced
that after you examine both pictures again - and even more closely - you'll
agree that this Silkypix-made is a little bit better. The one you generated
shows the surface of car body as covered with a little scratches (zoom to
1:1 and compare).

So you mean presently fixable only by denoising? OK, thanks - I'll explore
Darktable's abilities in this area; I'm rather displeased with the way I was
able to cure the problem using LR 5.7.1 (well, still not being "LR-wizard")
- that's why I was looking for the software which do import, after which
there's no need to deal with that red noise. Maybe they ware right that
presently only Canon's DPP does it 100% properly.

OK, will explore DT some more, how it handles such problems.
--
regards,
Zbigniew