I managed to reproduce the problem on a smaller scale using a generated set
of 5,000 1x1 PNG images, each annotated with a certain number of tags, with
a total of 6,111 across the set. (I will send you these images in a
separate message.)

When I imported the first 250 of these images into a fresh database in
Darktable 2.2.4, attaching one new tag to the lot took about two seconds.
When I imported all 5,000 into another fresh database, attaching the same
tag to the same 250 images took about 10 seconds.

I also carried out this same test in Darktable 2.0.7. Importing the 5,000
images gave me a database file of about 500 megabytes (as opposed to four
with Darktable 2.2.4), and the same tag-attachment operation took four and
a half minutes. When, however, I repeated the operation with the name of a
nonexistent tag in the tagging module text box, it took 10 seconds as in
Darktable 2.2.4.

In light of this result, I should mention that the databases I am having
this trouble with were all originally created by Darktable 1.4.2 and are
over 75 megabytes in size.

--
August Schwerdfeger
aug...@schwerdfeger.name