* Tobias Ellinghaus <m...@houz.org> [09-25-17 17:44]:
> Am Montag, 25. September 2017, 15:32:55 CEST schrieb Patrick Shanahan:
> > * johannes hanika <hana...@gmail.com> [09-25-17 14:21]:
> > > .. and that is images, not bytes in the db, right? most impressive :)
> >
> > yes, images 16mb,24mb and a very few 12mb
> >
> > > any particular operations that show significant slowdown due to this?
> > > or does it just work?
> >
> > I notice no slow-down anywhere except it takes about 30 seconds on startup
> > to display.  but I usually leave it open as I use it constantly.  I shoot
> > a lot of soccer games but delete all that I do not show.
>
> When disabling the crawler in the preferences (so dt doesn't look for changed
> sidecar files), does that speed startup up?

I have the crawler disabled as after working a set, I store them on an nfs
mounted drive.  the crawler would be *very* slow.

on the occasions where I work a set when traveling and use my laptop, I
import them with accompanying xml files to my workstation.  I cannot think
of a situation for me where the crawler would be any advantage.  if it
happens I need the crawler, I can enable it for that session.

anyway startup only amounts to ~15 seconds on my workstation and isn't a
bother, just noticable.  and startup is only slow when I don't have a set
active, ie: it is accessing the entire collection of 88k instead of
several hundred.

12 core i7
36 gb
nv GT450