On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Heiko Bauke <heiko.ba...@mail.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 15.11.2017 um 12:28 schrieb Roman Lebedev:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Heiko Bauke <heiko.ba...@mail.de> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> Contrary to the common believe that in-camera
>>> corrections are applied to JPEGs but not to the RAW file, in-camera lens
>>> correction in the EOS-1D X Mark II is applied to RAWs only.  See
>>>
>>> https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/en/eos-5d-mark-iv-lens-aberration-correctiona-close-up-look-part-1
>>

>> Can you quote that part where it says what you think it says?
>> I don't see anything there about modifying the raw files.
>

> the article is about in-camera lens correction.  Lens corrections are stored
> in the image data, it's not about storing meta data for lens correction in
> post processing.  Do not be confused by the fact that there is also a
> software tool provided by Canon that implements the same kind of lens
> correction algorithms for post processing.
>
> The term RAW file is not included explicitly in the article that I
> mentioned.  It is, however, highlighted that »The Digital Lens Optimizer
> [...]  made its debut as an in-camera feature on the EOS-1D X Mark II. At
> that time, its effects could not be reflected in real time on JPEG images.«
> I understand this statement as that the RAW file image data is affected.
> The camera has a special hardware component to do the heavy math.  This
> would not be needed if just some meta data for lens correction in post would
> be included into the RAW file.
>
> Furthermore, another Canon article (see
> https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/en/eos-1d-x-mark-ii-in-camera-lens-optimization-for-high-quality-images
> ) says
>
> »The processing ability of the Dual DIGIC 6 + image processing engines is
> what makes in-camera image processing possible. They are capable of
> processing the vast amount of data that is yielded from the 20-megapixel
> sensor and the continuous shooting speed of 16 fps at a high speed, and
> achieve in-camera RAW image development and real-time aberration correction.
> A dedicated IC has been developed and employed to enable the incorporation
> of different aberration correction features during in-camera RAW image.«

> How would you understand »in-camera RAW image development«?  It does
> definitely not refer to the lens correction to the JPEG, because this camera
> does not have such a feature.
You are just plain wrong here. Lens correction for the jpeg's was always there,
provided the lens profile is stored in camera.

> According to
> https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/35324/why-does-using-canons-digital-lens-optimizer-double-the-size-of-a-raw-file
> in-camera lens correction in Canon cameras doubles the RAW file size,
> because the processed image data is stored in addition to the unprocessed
> RAW data.
Those are just words, there is not a single confirmed fact there, e.g.
exif dumps
that would show that there is a two SubImages even though the
DualPixel is disabled.
But even if it is true, that violates your own words,
since the original unmodified raw is still there.

>         Heiko
Roman.