It looks like I was able to find what action causes this problem.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Download, unpack and import as folder — https://drive.google.com/ope
n?id=14sZLgnpZSV5W3pw1K_8owHW29Heq9EWz (don't pay attention to content
and settings)
2. Choose second picture and click (in lighttable mode) copy history
stack and choose, let's say, 'shadows and highlights' settings.
3. Apply it (paste) to first picture, open it, compress history stack
and close DT.
4. Now compare XMP files, first one is twice bigger than second one (in
my case ~700kB vs ~1400kB). Meanwhile in darkroom mode history stack
looks the same.

Can anyone comment, what is going on here?