Thank you for the detailed answer

> heya,
>
> for modules that work on raw data, the full pipeline is unscaled
> (hence your constant scale factors). all we do here is provide input
> cropped to the region of interest your module requested during the
> modify_roi_in() pass that is run before process() is called (there is
> a default implementation of modify_roi_in).
>

> we have some experimental/working code that downsizes raw data so that
> the preview pipeline can be run on raw/mosaic input, yet downscaled
> buffers. look for functions like
> dt_iop_clip_and_zoom_mosaic_half_size_f().

Cool, I will look at this!

> i'm guessing you want to detect whether you are running a
> DT_DEV_PIXELPIPE_FULL pipe in darkroom mode (as opposed to
> DT_DEV_PIXELPIPE_PREVIEW or _EXPORT) and then do this downscaling
> yourself before running your algorithm on reduced resolution.

Yes, and I would like to know the zoom factor in case of
DT_DEV_PIXELPIPE_PREVIEW , in order to downscale only if the image is
sufficiently zoomed out (for example, I don't want to downscale the image
if the zoom is at 90%, but I want to downscale if it is below 50%).

> note that there are some problems with this when it comes to aliasing
> or the treatment of filtered colours, some of which may be above the
> raw clipping threshold.

I can imagine that downscaling raw is far from easy. I think (hope?) that,
maybe, the denoising step *may* reduce the artifacts that result of the
downscaling. Anyway, I will have to test this to figure out if it is an
acceptable solution or not!

> let me know how you go with this, sounds very interesting!
> cheers,
>  jo

Ok I'll do that!
Thank you again for your help.