Le mercredi 13 juin 2018, johannes hanika <hana...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> hi,
>
> that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. for what it's worth, in
> practice the nlmeans doesn't let any grain at all through due to the
> piecewise constant prior that it's based on. well, only in regions
> where it finds enough other patches that is. in the current
> implementation with a radius of 7 that is not always the case.

That's precisely the type of grain that I thought to try to tackle with a 2
pass.
When the image is very noisy, it is quite frequent to have pixels without
enough other patches.
It sometimes forces me to raise the strength sliders, resulting in an
overly smoothed image.
The idea is to give the user the choice of how to handle these pixels,
either by leaving them like this, either by using another denoising
algorithm so that they integrate better with their surroundings.
Anyway, I guess I may try that and come back after some results to discuss
if it's worth it or no ;-)

> also, i usually use some blending to add the input buffer back on top
> of the output. this essentially leaves the grain alone but tones it
> down.

I do the same ;-)

> cheers,
>  jo
>

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:23 AM, Aurélien Pierre
> <rese...@aurelienpierre.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The problem of a 2-passes denoising method involving 2 differents
> > algorithms, the later applied where the former failed, could be the grain
> > structure (the shape of the noise) would be different along the picture,
> > thus very unpleasing.

I agree that the grain structure could be different. Indeed, the grain
could be different, but my feeling (that may be wrong) is that it would be
still better than just no further processing, that leaves some pixels
unprocessed (they could form grain structures far from uniform if we are
not lucky).
If you think it is only due to a change of algorithm, I guess we could
apply non local means again on pixels where a first pass failed, but with
different parameters to be quite confident that the second pass will work.

> > I thought maybe we could instead create some sort of total variation
> > threshold on other denoising modules :
> >
> > compute the total variation of each channel of each pixel as the
> divergence
> > divided by the L1 norm of the gradient - we then obtain a "heatmap" of
> the
> > gradients over the picture (contours and noise)
> > let the user define a total variation threshold and form a mask where the
> > weights above the threshold are the total variation and the weights below
> > the threshold are zeros (sort of a highpass filter actually)
> > apply the bilateral filter according to this mask.
> >
> > This way, if the user wants to stack several denoising modules, he could
> > protect the already-cleaned areas from further denoising.
> >
> > What do you think ?

That sounds interesting.
This would maybe allow to keep some small variations/details that are not
due to noise or not disturbing, while denoising the other parts.
Also, it may be computationally interesting (depends on the complexity of
the total variation computation, I don't know it), as it could reduce the
number of pixels to process.
I guess the user could use something like that also the other way?: to
protect high detailed zones and apply the denoising on quite smoothed zones
only, in order to be able to use stronger denoising on zones that are
supposed to be background blur.

rawfiner