Hi Jason,

if every device out there fully conformed to DNG, DNG supported all the
specifics of each and every device, and all software fully supported
DNG: Yes.

In practice that's not the case. RAW formats are tied to the actual
implementation of the camera sensor itself. There have been several
attempts to come up with a standard format which supports every image
sensor imaginable, DNG for example is an extension of the earlier TIFF/EP.

There will always be something missing from the common standard, e.g.
TIFF/EP and DNG assume that the image sensor has a color filter array
which uses Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow or White filters.
This is not true for all sensors out there, e.g. Sigma cameras with a
Foveon sensors don't have a color filter array, SuperCCD sensors have
color filters which are rotated by 45 degrees, etc. Some manufacturers
also use specific or proprietary algorithms which not every piece of
software can implement, so you couldn't read the image even though the
software supports DNG. If you go the level where you care about the RAW
data instead of RGB pixels, everybody does something different all the time.

The same is true for device options, settings, metdata values etc. which
do not exist on all devices yet have to be stored. A good example for
this are all the proprietary extensions to the Exif standard
(https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/) which were created
because people couldn't find a way to store their data in the standard tags.

I can't say much about how long it takes to implement support for all
the different RAW formats, but most manufacturers try to stick to their
existing RAW formats as long as possible. So not every new device
requires a full re-write.

cheers,
Simon