Aurélien, you seem to have put your finger on the issues. Very well observed,
it would be good to think that users feedback was considered.

Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer

On 20 Apr 2019 11:41, Aurélien Pierre <rese...@aurelienpierre.com> wrote:

Hi,

I second that. I tend to avoid every distraction while working and prefer
non-real time communication channels, especially when I'm not on a GMT±1
timezone (most dt's devs are EU-based, so IRC disadvantages Americas, Asia,
Australia, NZ, etc.). Also, some skilled devs are not fluent enough in English
to sustain a real-time conversion in it.

I also think users should get more involved in the decision loop. darktable
project has a long history of disregarding user's requests and finding excuses
to do so (just read Redmine issues). The thing is no current dev is a full-time
retoucher or photographer, and these people can teach you good stuff about
color, state-of-the-art image processing, and sometimes even how to use your
own software. Their feedback should be valued, not ignored. None of us knows
better than a full-time photographer what an efficient high-end photographer
needs to produce good work. The decisions taken should not be solely justified
by technical IT reasons. darktable will be good enough the day it will be used
by fashion photographers. Now, it's only hobbyists and low-budget pros.

For this reason, I think Github is a nice crossroad between devs, code, users,
bugs, PRs, and wiki. I don't find it more overwhelming than Redmine issues. I
quite like the "social coding" way of Github too (giving feedback directly on
the code). Gitlab is becoming quite good too for a self-hosted equivalent
(without Microsoft involved). The second best would be this mailing list.

Regards,

Aurélien.