UI represents underlying concepts and shows them visually. If we made a
disconection between that it would cause more problems than it's worth,
because - what if you wanted to sort some modules in a way to not affect
the pipe and move some in a way that affects the pipe? Now you have 2
competing sorting representations, one which is meaningful and one which is
meaningless. In terms of KISS principle, we simply don't have meaningless
sort to deal with ;)

Also - users may find new flexible groups to be beneficial - that way they
won't have to deal with more modules than they are comfortable with and can
have multiple grouping presets etc:
https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/module-reference/utility-modules/darkroom/manage-module-layouts/

sob., 12 gru 2020 o 11:07 Wiktor Nowak <wik...@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> I personally don't need this but also don't see a problem to make an
> option to reorder modules only in UI not affecting the pipeline. If some
> users would find this helpful then why not?
>
> W dniu 12.12.2020 o 10:57, Martin Straeten pisze:
> > This doesn’t make sense since the order represents the order the modules
> are applied in the pixel pipe. The output of the lower module is the input
> of the upper. This is important to understand, whats happening in the
> modules.
> > You’re able to change the displayed order by ctrl+shift+drag but this
> also changes the order of the module instance in the pipe.
> > If it’s not relevant to take care of the moduleorder in the pixel pipe,
> then you don’t really need darktable - and you certainly don’t belong to
> the target group for which darktable was developed.
> >
> >> Am 12.12.2020 um 10:20 schrieb Wiktor Nowak <wik...@gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Under one of my polish darktable tutorial video someone asked about an
> >> option to change order of modules in UI to order them accordingly to
> >> order of actions preferred by the user. I find this as a quite simple to
> >> develop and potentially useful functionality.
> >>
> >> best regards
> >> Wiktor.

Pozdrawiam,
Hubert Kowalski