With XMP files creation on import is IMO mandatory, as only the XMP file
contains any modifications at all, sice darktable does not and will not
ever modify RAWs or processed files. You can totally disable xmp generation
and rely only on db which has a downside of possibility of failing when
needed.
Now - xmp file doesn't only contain "edits" as in graphical changes to the
image - it's also all the tags, metadata, geolocation and everything else.
And since on import darktable adds autogenerated tags, the "modification"
is there already, so Patrick was correct.

As for implementing the feature yourself, meaning "lazy xmp creation" or
"only when important* stuff changed" *="depends on definition of
important", you should start where all devs start:
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable then simply browse PRs, test
them, see the changes they make, leave comments, browse issues and try to
tackle them by creating small prs and then go with your feature.

Have fun and remember to always try to make darktable better for all, not
just for yourself :)

Pozdrawiam,
Hubert Kowalski