I've found that Ubuntu build linked in projec page:

https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=graphics:darktable&package=darktable

currently fails to install on Ubuntu 21-10 because of exiv2 lower than 2-27.5. Currently Ubuntu doesn't integrated new exiv2 and it will almost certainly not be integrated until next release.

I've found a package downloaded in 25'th December from the same place and it installs fluently without exiv2 dependency fail.

It's now actually blocking new users from using darktable 3.8 on Ubuntu for no reason I think because darktable works fine on older exiv2 only lacking a cr3 support. There is no point of providing a build for Ubuntu which can't be installed on Ubuntu.