hi all.

from a speed and data integrity standpoint, i wouldn't put the
database on the network share.
1) it's queried quite a bit during run time, you want that to be as
fast as you can (local ssd or similar)
2) if you ever get into the weird situation when you or someone else
are accessing the sqlite db from both computers simultaneously, this
will corrupt it (or hopefully detect a lock. probably not)

thus, i would use two local db and sync via the remote xmp files:

look for updated xmp files on startup
http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch08s02.html.php

note that if your remote storage is slow and you have a lot of images
(say, many 10k) this can take a while at startup however.

to work with images which are on the network store while you're
travelling with the notebook, i think you probably found the local
copy option:

http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch02s02s09.html.php

hth
-jo