On 07/30/2016 05:35 PM, Michael wrote:
> How do we use these things with dark table?

I like very much the color balance, which I see in Olympus out-of-camera
JPEGs, and I wanted to have a darktable style as a starting point for
processing RAW.

I used a similar GretagMacbeth color pattern to create a style using
"color zones" module. That is, I took a picture of the color checker in
direct sunlight and tried various settings on RAW to match the JPG.
Color zones module manipulation produced the best result, though the
match still wasn't perfect. The resulting style works very well on some
scenes, but less so on others.

Then I discovered IT8 target from Wolf Faust and this:

http://www.darktable.org/2016/05/colour-manipulation-with-the-colour-checker-lut-module/

The latter is of course a much more systematic approach. It uses "color
checker lut" module (as of today one has to use darktable compiled from
git master) and a darktable-chart utility. Using Olympus RAW (ORF) and
out-of-camera JPG, the resulting style provides amazingly similar color
rendition. For most of the scenes anyway. I used both Olympus' "natural"
and "vivid" JPG modes. Still for some scenes, I still prefer my initial,
empirical, "color zones" style...

In the end, it is good to have these style available and try them on
different scenes.

Šarūnas
https://math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas