This would be related to the "tethering" feature in darktable.  gphoto is
not plainly listed on either the wiki or the camera support page but is
included in the overview of the feature in chapter for this feature.
Unfortunately I missed that line when skimming the section.

I will have a look at the gphoto lib.
Thanks,

https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch04.html.php
https://www.darktable.org/resources/camera-support/