Hi,
Darktable is probably the best raw editor/photo organizer available, unfortunately it's not the most crash free software in the world. For my tastes it crashes way too often, especially if crashing means losing all the editings you were previously doing. It just crashed after an hour+ editing of a single shot. After I reopened darktable its database was corrupt and the history of my last shot completely gone. Instead of asking me "hey, the metadata in your XMP file is completely different from the one in the database, do you want me to overwrite it?" it simply overwrote the XMP file with garbage db metadata, losing all my edits. It should ask before overwriting, possibly with a checkbox to make a backup copy. Even better, it could show me a preview of both images, the one developed with the metadata from the db and the one from the XMP file, asking me if I want to reimport the image or simply overwrite the XMP file.

Bests,
Niccolò Belli